Join Labour for a New Democracy for Why First Past the Post doesn’t add up for Labour.
At its founding, the Labour Party was committed to Proportional Representation. But as Labour came to replace the Liberals as the second party of British politics, it came to embrace First Past the Post. Yet over the century that followed, FPTP has delivered neither the fair and equal society nor the open and inclusive democracy that Labour stands for.
Join the panel to hear why FPTP doesn’t stack up for Labour, and why we must back a fair, proportional system at this year’s Labour Party conference.
Chair: Nancy Platts (Politics for the Many)
- Professor Rob Ford (University of Manchester)
- Debbie Abrahams MP (Oldham East & Saddleworth)
- Alex Sobel MP (Leeds North West)
- Olivia Blake MP (Sheffield Hallam)
- Paul Sweeney MSP (Glasgow Region)